Saturday, July 30, 2005

Delaware Sub Shop


In the heart of Austin, Texas... Posted by Picasa

Delaware Subs is an Austin fixture and, in my opinion, has the best sub sandwich you will ever eat.

Bring your appetite; the options are 7- or 14-inchers. Remember the last time you conquered a foot-long from somewhere else but felt like you could have eaten just a bit more? Delaware’s “Large” is perfect for you. And they don’t skimp on meat. The traditional deli-style selections start with a hefty helping of cold cuts, which are covered in veggies, oil, hot and sweet peppers (all optional, of course), and then topped with – you guessed it – more meat. It’s Homer-Simpson-type drool inspiring.

Each day of the week, they have a different special – I believe the special runs ~$5 for a large on that day. Other days a sandwich is still no more than ~$7 for a large, though, which is a downright bargain for such an awesome sandwich.

The only “negative” at Delaware is that the sandwiches are so delicious, you’ll trick yourself into thinking you can actually eat a large and not feel grotesquely stuffed. When Monika and I went there last, I got a small Deluxe (my standard issue – ham, turkey, and bacon) and a Meatball (it was the special; I couldn’t resist). I was so full after eating half of the deluxe that I had to eat the meatballs from the other sandwich by themselves…there was no more room left for bread. Monika had the fried eggplant, which was also excellent.

One final note – Delaware Subs is actually home of *the* best Philly Cheese Steak you will ever eat (in Texas, at least). They make it with catsup; don’t ask me exactly how it works – just try one for yourself, and you will be impressed.

Overall Grade: A

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home