Wednesday, July 19, 2006

"Not" Fried Rice

The main reason sushi (or any Asian food for that matter) will always remain at the top of my food favorites list is because I can not make a better version of it at home. Although, now that I have all these new & wonderful wedding presents my 'at home' versions might just keep my from ever going to a restaurant again! Okay, maybe not, but this version of fried rice, made with my new rice maker, was good enough to fool me.

I love the fact that this quick and healthy version of fried rice didn't make me feel like I had a grease brick in my stomach and I also enjoyed knowing that all the veggies were fresh and hand chopped (with my new knifes, of course).

1 tsp sesame oil
6 oz chicken tender, cut into strips (I used my new scale to measure out 6 oz)
16 medium shrimp, peeled, deveined, cut in half lengthwise
2 tbls soy sauce
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
2 tsp vegetable oil
1/2 oz Canadian bacon or ham, chopped
1/4 c. onion, chopped
1/4 c. carrot, chopped
2 tbls mushrooms, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 1/2 c. basmati rice
3 1/3 c. low sodium chicken stock
2/3 c. frozen peas, thawed
1/2 c. red bell pepper, julienned
4 green onions, chopped
1 c. bean sprouts

Lightly coat the steaming tray with cooking spray. Place chicken in a small dish and drizzle with half the sesame oil; stir to coat. Place in the steamer tray to one side in a single layer. Repeat with shrimp. Reserve.

In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, and pepper. Stir until sugar dessolves; reserve.

Insert the rice cooking bowl into the Cuisinart rice cooker. Add the oil; cover and turn on for 1 minute. Add the Canadian bacon, chopped onions, carrot, mushroom, and garlic. Stri to coat with oil. Cover and cook 4 to 5 minutes, place the steaming tray over the rice cooking bowl and cover. Conitnue to cook until rice cooker switches to "warm". Using potholders, lift off steaming tray. Add the peas, red pepper and green onions to the rice cooking bowl on top of the rice - do not stir. Replace the steaming tray on the top of the rice cooking bowl and cover. Let stand 5 minutes. Transfer the rice to a medium bowl, along with the steamed chicken and shrimp and bean sprouts. Drizzle the soy mixture over the rice and stir to combine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home