Wednesday, May 24, 2006

THE cake

The recipe below I didn't exactly find, it was given to my a few years back by Adam's mom, Joy. Every year for Adam's birthday his mom would make THE cake and all of his friends would gather around the table and relish in the cake of myth and legend. The bottom of the cake forms a nice dense crust while the inside remains moist, gooey, and sweet. It is delish by itself, but I prefer to top it with raspberries and a dab of powdered sugar.

Get out a 13x9x2 pan and pre-heat oven to 350 degrees (it using a glass pan, which I don’t recommend, use 325 degrees).

1 (2-layer size) package yellow cake mix (I use only Pillsbury’s pudding-included type)
4 eggs
1 stick butter (1/2 cup), melted
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 pound powdered sugar

Mix one slightly beaten egg with dry cake mix and butter to a moist dough consistency. Grease the pan and press mixture evenly in it.

Soften cream cheese (nowadays not really necessary) and beat in electric mixer with remaining (3) eggs and vanilla until creamy. Beat in powdered sugar gradually and beat until smooth; this takes several minutes. Pour over crust. Bake 35-40 minutes. Watch carefully so base doesn’t get too brown. The cheese mixture sinks into the center somewhat leaving a firmer crust around the edges. Cut in squares to serve.



Adam and his friends enjoy this cake best after it's cooled for a few hours and then put in the fridge to "set". I think it tastes fine either way.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My fi's mom calls it Gooey Butter cake. There are a TON of variations based on what cake mix you use! Wonderful

11:30 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww, David's mom makes this cake too! She calls it the Oooey Gooey Butter Cake, I love it. She cooks it was a gas stove, I tried it with my electric and it just doesn't taste the same =(. ~Pam (brkngtraditions)

9:14 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home