Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Retro Snoballs

When I was little, er, younger, I would eat these Hostess Snoballs that were pretty good. I remember the frosting was hard and more of a foam texture than a cupcake frosting. I always thought that was wrong.

So when I found a recipe for Mashmallow frosting, I thought it would be a great chance to make this classic dessert all over again...but with a gourmet twist.

These were an absolute BLAST to make.

The cake batter is made with 70% Cocoa by Valhrona. It's a gooey & rich chocolate cake. The frosting is made with butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and Marshmallow Fluff.

I piped the frosting on to the cupcakes after the cooled and was so impressed!


Then it was topped and shaped with some coconut that I colored with 3 food drops of red food coloring. I am sorry for the bad picture; it didn't do the cupcake justice.

The frosting made WAY too much and next time I will probably cut it in half. Wait...I take that back, next time I will double the cake recipe and make more cupcakes. This recipe only made 12.

I think these are going to be a HUGE hit at the office tomorrow.


Okay - WAAAAAAY too much frosting & sugar for me tonight...Off to the gym!

UPDATE :: I actually got an email requesting the recipe for our super Retro Snoballs and how can I keep my fans waiting ;)

8 tbls unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
2 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped (I used Valhrona)
1/2 c. Dutch-processed cocoa
3/4 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
2 large eggs
3/4 c. sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp table salt
1/2 c. sour cream

Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position, pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pan with baking cup liners. (this made 12 cupcakes)

Combine first three ingredients in medium heatproof bowl. Melt ingredients using a double-boiler or a saucepan over simmering water. Whisk until smooth and combined. Set aside to cool, until just warm to the touch.

Whisk flour, baking soda and baking powder in small bowl to combine.

Whisk eggs in medium bowl to combine; add sugar, vanilla, and salt and wisk until fully incorporated. Add cooled chocolate mixture; whisk until fully combined. Alternate about 1/3 of flour mixture with the sour cream into chocolate mixture and whisk until combined. End with remaining flour mixture and whisk until batter is homogenous and thick.

Divide batter among muffin pan cups. Bake until toothpick comes out clean, 18-20 minutes.

Cool in pan on wire rack, about 15 minutes. Cool to room temperature before icing, about 30 minutes.

And the goodness that is frosting:

1 can of Fluff 16 oz. (use actual Fluff not marshmallow cream)
4 sticks of unsalted butter at room temp.
2 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Cream the butter then add the sugar. Once fully incorporated add the fluff. Beat until mixed.

Pink Coconut:
1 bag coconut sweetened
3 drops of red food coloring.

Mix until pink!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

AWESOME! Seriouslly, you should open a bakery!

6:36 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home