Sunday, September 10, 2006

Slow Roasting Pot Roast

I love Sundays! They are my favorite days of the week because I have so much time to cook. This was one of the first weekends in a long time that I had NOTHING planned on Friday, Saturday, OR Sunday. It was wonderful.

When you have a lot of time on Sunday or have a bunch of laundry that you MUST get done, a slow cooking roast is one of the best things to do. You're gonna be at the house all day, so you might as well put that oven to use.

This was a easy roast to make and I think most people will have the majority of the ingredients in their house. Slow roasting makes the meat so tender that I didn't even need a knife to serve it!

3.5 pound beef sirloin roast (I got a nice cut of meat from Central Market)
1 bunch of celery, chopped
1 pound of baby carrots
1 clove garlic, minced
1 package dry brown gravy mix
4 tablespoons water
1 package dry onion soup mix
1 can cream of mushroom soup
10 oz Coca-Cola

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place meat in a roasting pan - (I always let my meat sit out of the fridge for 10 minutes to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan). Sprinkle carrots & celery around roast.

In a large bowl, combine the gravy & water and mix into a smooth paste. Add soups, cola, and garlic and mix well. Pour over roast.

Cover, and cook 1 hour in the preheated oven. Reduce oven temperature to 225 degrees and continue cooking for 2 hours. Remove from oven and turn roast over to cover the other side with gravy. Cover pan, and return to oven for another 2 hours.

Remove from oven and let meat rest for 10 minutes before slicing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home