Sunday, December 18, 2005

Muscle Milk 'n' Oats - Vanilla

Last night Monika exchanged an early Christmas gift – why not? My pre-Christmas surprise was a few bowls of Muscle Milk ‘n’ Oats. That’s (Muscle Milk), the brand, for those of you not familiar with it.

I’m always looking for ways to increase lean mass, and what better way to do so than by taking in a lot of carbs early in the day, but with the added benefits of minimal fat, 4 grams of fiber, and a whopping 30 grams of protein! Not to mention, Muscle Milk, in my opinion, is by far the most delicious protein drink on the market (it should be – at 20/10 grams of unsaturated/saturated fat). But I digress – how was the oatmeal?

I popped off the lid, added 2/3 cup of water, and 90 seconds later, I had a steaming bowl of oatmeal that smelled fantastic. I waited a good 5 minutes or so before taking a first bite, since I could tell the stuff was retaining heat with astonishing efficiency. Finally, my spoon took its inaugural journey into a mass that thought of oatmeal, but with the relative thickness of spinning a spoon in a vat of honey. In other words, this is thick stuff.

Chewing it feels somewhere between chewing oatmeal and taffy. It did taste good though, just like sweet, milky oatmeal infused with vanilla should taste. And frankly, with the nutritional benefits you gain from it, this product is a home run. The only true drawback I thought of was that I couldn’t eat this in the morning on the run, because it took a good 20 minutes to take it all down. Because it’s so thick, it retained heat ‘till its bitter end, so I had to let it cool as I ate.

Rating: 9/10 on the “protein food” scale, where Promax and Muscle Milk shakes are 10s, and something like EAS MyoPro Banana Crème is a 1.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home