Saturday, January 07, 2006

Fort Worth Chicken

I've had this recipe for a while, but haven't had the desire to make it. Mainly because I LOVE honey mustard and knew that if I made it I would eat too much of the sauce and then not enjoy the dish. So when Adam offered to make dinner tonight, this was my first choice. We had most of the ingredients in the house already so it was going to be a cheap at home date for us!

The original recipe from my friend called for a few other ingredients but I changed them to match the flavors of the Wendy's Texas Cheeseburger. I always thought the cheese and mustard would do well on chicken and I knew I could make it for far less calories & fat.

Boy! Was I right! This meal is AWESOME. We paired our dinner with some steamed broccoli & roasted garlic and a glass of red wine.

INGREDIENTS:
1 pound, boneless chicken breast
2 teaspoons seasoning salt
6 slices bacon, cut in half
1/2 cup mustard
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup fat free mayonnaise
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
2 cups shredded Sharp cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives

DIRECTIONS:
Rub the chicken breasts with the seasoning salt, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until crisp. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine the mustard, honey, corn syrup, mayonnaise and onion. Set aside. Saute mushrooms for 3-5 minutes in 1 TBLS olive oil.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place the breasts in the skillet and saute for 3 to 5 minutes per side, or until browned. Remove from skillet and place the breasts into a 9x13 inch baking dish. Apply the honey mustard sauce to each breast, then layer each breast with mushrooms and bacon. Sprinkle top with shredded cheese.

Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and chicken juices run clear. Garnish with chives and serve with the reserved honey mustard sauce.

(In case you are wondering, Adam threw in some smoked sausage too)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home