Wednesday, January 04, 2006

New Year, New Food

I hope those that are reading this didn’t make resolutions to lose weight this 2006. It won’t change your body’s physical appearance if you are working out one hour each day but still eating fast food for lunch and dinner. Take the time to learn how to prepare healthy meals. Nutrition is approximately 80% of your body’s development. So go beyond the ho-hum typical American goal! Dare to make one new dish a week, try a foreign veggie, or dare I say, take your homemade dinner to work for lunch *gasp*.

Sunday nights are what I call my “cook nights”. I’ll make a meal big enough to feed a family of eight and that is then split it into individual dinners for myself and Adam (a trick I learned from my mom back in the day). When we are in a rush in the morning or trying to grab a quick bite to eat before we head out for the evening, these frozen dinners make a huge difference. Sure, not all of them are the most low-fat dinners (like tonight’s lasagna), but at least it is made with all natural ingredients and virtually no “added” ingredients.

Another trick I have is pre-packaging all my fruits and veggies in individual snack size Ziploc bags. This makes packing lunches super easy in the morning. For example, tonight when I made the lunches, my lunch got the following:

1 cup fresh raspberries & blackberries
1 cup carrots
1 cup Goldfish crackers
2 hard boiled eggs
1 cup Mediterranean couscous (made with curry, artichoke hearts, & raisins)
1 Myoplex Lite Protein shake
1 Lean Cuisine Spinach & Garlic Pizza

Adam’s lunch got the following:

1 cup carrots
1 cup Goldfish crackers
1 pear
2 servings of Lasagna
4 ants on a log (pieces of celery with peanut butter and raisins)
1 protein bar
1 packet brown sugar & vanilla instant oatmeal
1 sliced buffalo chicken sandwich with spicy brown mustard
2 hard boiled eggs

I know that I am in the minority in not wanting to lose weight during the New Year *le sigh*. I do, however, hope to keep this foodie blog going strong and inspire some people who never had the courage before to step inside the kitchen and try something new.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home